Table of Contents
Does birthing ball help start labor?
A birthing ball has various advantages. It is a comfortable choice for pregnant women to induce labor. A birth ball can be used to bring the baby’s head on your cervix. This is done by doing energetic circles which are smooth for safety reasons. These movements must be changed every 20 minutes. Gentle bouncing helps in moving the baby down. The most significant use of birth balls is able to position the baby correctly. It also can be included in so many exercises to induce labor fast.
A birthing ball is a perfect tool for pregnant mothers to sit on. It increases the blood flow and can even provide relief to the spine. It is well known that pregnant mothers experience discomfort and body pains. A birthing ball assists in getting support for your knees and ankles. It enables flexible and different positions for the pregnant lady as you can lean forward, sway, do hip circles, etc
Several studies have supported the benefits of using a birthing ball. It enhances the health and fitness of a pregnant woman. Birthing balls even help in having easier and faster labor along with recovery. Using this improves self-efficacy in childbirth and reduces pain. Birth balls are extensively used during labor to upgrade the comfort while giving birth with regard to pain, need for medical interventions, comfort, etc. Therefore, even though using a birth ball isn’t directly related to ease of labor, it affects various elements that constitute it.
Massages, baths and breathing exercises are few of other activities that help mothers with labor pain. Various exercises can be practiced by mothers to deal with back pain level, anxiety levels, etc. Few of the birthing ball exercises to induce labor can be suggested as below:
- The wall squat
- C-shape push back
- The Hula Hoop
- The Rocking
There are so many people who’ve shared their success tales of yoga/exercise balls. They say that yoga balls and related exercises have helped them with contractions and experiences comfortable labor. There are people who’ve dilated from 2cm and 70% to 5cm and 80% as an example for using a yoga ball to induce labor stories. There are various things doctors recommend to encourage speeding of labor. Walking is always really good for the health of the mother. It is the easiest and most suggest form of activity for pregnant ladies. Using birth balls and doing gentle exercises with or without a birthing ball can speed up the process of dilation. A pregnant lady goes through so much mental and physical stress. Therefore, activities to relieve stress are highly supported. The mother can relax by taking a warm shower or trying acupressure can also help to induce labor. There are many medical methods today used to ensure and act on inducing labor.
Exercises to induce labor at 40 weeks or prior
- You can sit on the yoga ball with your knees apart. In this position, perform the act of rocking. You can do it in side-side and back-forth motions. Rocking must be done for 15-30 minutes daily. Music or watching television can keep the mood up and can ensure that it doesn’t feel boring. Pregnant ladies can use a yoga ball as a replacement for a couch or a chair.
- Most of the people have the question of “how long should I bounce on a ball to induce labor?”. Bouncing on a ball must be gentle and should only be done for 5-10 minutes a day. The position must be taken care of with regard to feet and support. You can hold your thighs for support and place your feet flat on the floor at shoulder width apart.
- Using a yoga ball can give you maximum hip opening effects. Doing infinity circles may initially hurt the body, but slowly it will become a habit. You must sit on the ball with your knees and pelvis open. The “figure eight” motion is the easiest way to explain how you should rock the ball. A pregnant lady can do this from 10 to 20 minutes a day, how much ever the body is able to tolerate.
- A pregnant lady can place the ball between her back and the wall to do squats. Its very challenging but it certainly improves the health and fitness condition. Ensure that the ball is held with the support of the lower back. You can bend your knees into a squat and go to whatever extent you can. Repeat this activity at your own pace. The tolerance towards squats increases with daily sets. It is suggested to do 5-20 squats per day.
- Gently rocking yourself with your hands on a yoga ball is called Pelvic Rock lean. The pregnant lady must put her knees on the floor. This rocking motion while on the floor can be done for a few times daily. It helps in transferring the weight of the baby. Usually, it is done to transfer the weight of the baby to the front. It also adds to the good things for lower back pain.
Sitting positions to induce labor
There are various positions that increase the rate of easy and comfort during labor. Even yoga, explains various positions that are beneficial for pregnant ladies. Few of those are listed below:
- Garland Pose
- Table Top Position
- Tailor Pose
Research has pointed out that yoga poses can modify the experiences of pregnant women to a great extent. So far the most preferred position has been Savasana. Yoga and other such mediums can be implemented based on the mother’s preferences.
Precautions before using a birthing ball
Ensure that the exercises that you decide on must be doctor approved. We have different health and body capacities. Therefore, whether or not an exercise is good for your baby and you can’t be casually decided. A doctor who has legit expertise is able to guide you through the exercises you are doing safely.
The size of the ball is crucial. It must be designed to suit your body structure. Thus, make sure to choose a ball that is big enough for you to sit on it comfortably. Your hips must be above your knees while you are sitting on the ball. They are available to suit your height requirements. Birth balls range in a variety of 55cm, 65cm and 75cm.
A birthing ball is commonly used in exercises to the breakwater. There are high chances of your water breaking from the exercises you are doing on it or with it. You can cover the ball with a towel or use a waterproof pad near the end of your pregnancy or while in labor.
The best suitable way of including birthing balls into your lifestyle can significantly benefit the pregnant woman. We as parents must ensure that the possible future we are creating is safe and sound. All precautions and methods must be inculcated for the celebration and comfort. The mother goes through so many unexplainable emotions and physical pain. Thus the best of best must be done to ease the procedure of labor and keep a healthy environment. If you want to buy exercise ball on Amazon, you can click here to get Amazon coupon codes and deals.